Thursday, October 13, 2011
Day 25: Kombucha Tea
So today I have actually made something that is not going to be on my etsy page. I made a batch of Kombucha a few weeks ago and there was still some in the jar in the spare room. So for the SCOBY (Symbionic colony of bacterial Yeast but known as mushroom) to remain fresh I have to make a new batch so that it can eat the sugar from the tea. Surprisingly the mushroom had grown to almost 2 inches thick.
Crash Course In Kombucha making
1 Kombucha Culture
3x3 inch cotton cloth (or cheesecloth)
6-8 Packets of Green, White or Black Tea
3 Cups of Organic Cane Sugar
1 Gallon of Distilled Water
1 Large Rubberband
1 Large Pickle Jar
1/4 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
Sanitized pot and wooden spoon
1.Boil 6-8 cups of water with tea bags.
2. Add sugar and wait for it to dissolve in the pan. Remove from heat and add 10-12 cups of water.
3. Pour into jar Refrigerate for 30 minutes - hour.
4. Take out of fridge and ease in kombucha culture.
5. Cover the lid with the cotton cloth and place the rubber band around it to keep it in place
6) Place in dark, quiet, cool place for 10-30 days (I honestly would wait 20 days minimum). On the 10th day place a straw (or pipette) past the culture and taste it. You are looking for a very fizzy taste.
7) After brewing is complete store in plastic bottles and place in the fridge.